The Best Screenwriting Software
Do you want to write a screenplay?
Are you looking for screenwriting software to help you get started?
If so, you’re in luck! This blog post will discuss the top software options available for both beginners and professionals. So whether you’re just starting or you’ve been writing screenplays for years, we have the perfect software recommendation for you!
What is screenwriting software?
Screenwriting software is a computer program that helps you write and format your screenplay. You can use it to write movies, TV shows, or even video games. There are many different types of screenwriting software available, each with its own set of features and benefits.
What are the top screenwriting software options for beginners?
If you’re starting, we recommend using one of the following two programs:
1. Highland 2
This software is designed for Mac users and offers a variety of helpful features, such as beat boards and index cards. Highland also has an iOS app to take your writing on the go!
- Very easy software to use
- Simple writing process for all users
- Takes 30 seconds to get started
- Automatically recognises scene headers like INT. and EXT
- Navigator – this shows a roadmap of your scenes and sections
- Bin – a magical shelf to hold text that you may wish to use at a later date
- Live Margins – you can see the shape of the script
- For Screenwriters, novelists and students
Celtx is a free screenwriting software that is available for both Windows and Mac. It offers a variety of features, such as storyboards and script notes and all the features are included with this free software.
8 Easy Steps to get started with Celtx
1. To start you have to enter your email address to sign up.
2. You will then need to enter a verification code.
3. You will then need to create your profile, this includes adding your name, password and the reason for using the account and hitting next.
4. You will then need to Finish Your Profile, which includes selecting what the main production focus is, what your experience is and whether you work with others or simply alone.
5. You then have the option to invite collaborators but you have the option to skip this part for now.
6. You then need to Create Your First Project, and to select whether it is for Film & TV, Multi-Column AV or Stageplay.
7. You then give the project a name and you have the option to upload an existing script.
8. and that is it, you will be presented with the first part of the script for you to get started.
Features for Scriptwriting:
- Screenplay Editor
- Stageplay Editor
- Multi-Column AV Editor
- Index Cards
- Screenplay Offline Mode
- Revision Tracking
- Shareable Link
- Script Import
- Free Version
Features for Video Production:
- Breakdown & Catalog
- Shot List
- Call Sheets & Reports
What I like:
You get email support and an online help centre, along with fully functioning mobile apps too.
Scriptwriting: £10 per month
Video Production £17 per month
What are the best software for screenwriting options for professionals?
If you’re a more experienced screenwriter, we recommend using one of the following three programs.
3. Fade In
Fade In is another great option for professionals. It is a dedicated screenwriting software and it provides a clean interface and is very user-friendly. Plus, it’s available for both Windows and Mac! Claims to be the most advanced software used by professionals writing for motion pictures, video games, the stage and radio.
- Fully featured application interface
- Extensive formatting capabilities
- Autocomplete typing
- Collaboration tools
- Image support
- Supports multiple file formats
- Powerful writing and rewriting tools
- Novel writing
4. Final Draft 12
This software is the industry standard for screenwriting. It offers a variety of powerful features, such as Script notes and storyboarding. Final Draft also has an iOS app to take your writing on the go!
- Number-one selling script writing software in the world
- Over 300+ templates for screenplays, comics, teleplays, graphic novels and stage plays
- Can be used on the iPad
- Enhanced Beat Board
5. Movie Magic Screenwriter
This software is designed specifically for writing movies. It offers a variety of features, such as character development tools and story maps.
- Instructional templates
- Sample files
- Large thesaurus for lots of languages
- Text to speech engine
- Auto backups
- Tracking of all revisions
No matter what your level of experience is, we hope you found this blog post helpful in finding the best software! Let me know if you would recommend any other screenwriting software.